Fullrangedriver Forum

A place to hang out in the single fullrange driver community

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-25 13:44:59

lukasvoboda

Fostex speakers tonality?

How si tonaly corect Fostex speakers? I have JVC 3 way speakers which i don´t like because instruments don´t sound like instruments. I am interested in Fostex fe and ff series, has anyone any experience with fostex speakers? I have read some posts from people which say piano sound on Fostex like honky tonky or flute like dental drilling machine.

#2 2006-10-25 13:57:01

hm
Website

Re: Fostex speakers tonality?

#3 2006-10-25 14:00:36

loninappleton

lukasvoboda wrote:

How si tonaly corect Fostex speakers? I have JVC 3 way speakers which i don´t like because instruments don´t sound like instruments. I am interested in Fostex fe and ff series, has anyone any experience with fostex speakers? I have read some posts from people which say piano sound on Fostex like honky tonky or flute like dental drilling machine.

I'll bite on this one.

I've used my one pair of Fostex FE127e's in three
builds-- currently the MLTL designed by one of the regulars in these forums whose handle is GM.

I don't push them very hard and play mostly at
moderate volume.  Never heard 'em sound like a dentist drill on anything.

The best sound comes from the likes of solo guitar
such as Martin Taylor (check out the "Artistry"
album.)

Next stop for these is a BIB.

#4 2006-10-25 20:40:33

planet10
Website

Stock FE127, 126 can have a bit of edge to them. This could well be the peaky bits as seen in Mark MacKenzie's measurements. They mostly go away once tweaked.

I've a little time on moded & unmodded FE167. They are pretty smooth, a bit better once tweaked (i didn't get much time on them before phase plugs, but (of course i have to say) i consider phase plugs a given.

Modded FE207e with 206sER plugs in the wings waiting for a box.

dave

#5 2006-10-25 20:42:10

planet10
Website

PS: IMHO You won't get better mids for the dollar than FE108eS or modded FE126/127. Seemless up & down (with no XOs), the 108 having the edge in the mids but loosing out to the other 2 in the extremities.

dave

Last edited by planet10 (2006-10-25 20:43:34)

#6 2006-10-26 10:15:33

lukasvoboda

hm hm hm, what about rock on Fostex preakers?

#7 2006-10-26 10:29:11

erickson

lukasvoboda wrote:

hm hm hm, what about rock on Fostex preakers?

I think the FE207E in vented cabinet does very well for the budget.  If I were starting from scratch with the drivers, I'd build Martin King's Project 5.

It doesn't give visceral bass, but does quite well for itself.  Rock, reggae, and electronic all work.  For the moment, it's an acceptable trade-off (budget vs sound quality) for me:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/he … 67e9db.jpg

#8 2006-10-26 10:33:53

ghpicard

IMO, if you want bellow-moving bass, then forget unassisted (without sub-woofer) fullrangers. I get good bass from my FE108EZs in BLHs in a small to medium (25 sq. meter) room.

You haven't said yet what amp (or kind of amp) and in which room size are you planning to use the speakers in, and with what are you going to compare the results . All of that is part of the same equation, and could explain some of the adverse comments.
A very good driver in the wrong enclosure or a good driver+enclosure in the wrong room will lead to discouraging (even disgusting) results.
Finally, and as everything in life, it boils down to a matter of personal taste.

Gastón

#9 2006-10-26 10:48:52

erickson

You haven't said yet what amp (or kind of amp) and in which room size are you planning to use the speakers in, and with what are you going to compare the results .

A lot of the problems people have with full-range drivers is this bizarre idea that single-driver automatically means SET.  So they get a small full-ranger, power it with SET, and then lo and behold the system lacks balls.

#10 2006-10-26 11:00:20

ghpicard

erickson wrote:

You haven't said yet what amp (or kind of amp) and in which room size are you planning to use the speakers in, and with what are you going to compare the results .

A lot of the problems people have with full-range drivers is this bizarre idea that single-driver automatically means SET.  So they get a small full-ranger, power it with SET, and then lo and behold the system lacks balls.

Totally agreed. What I intended to know was if the posters of the "strange sound" were using FE206Es in horns with an old 70's SS amp that have crossover distortion galore in a small room or FE103s in OBs in large rooms and pretending them to have bass down to 30 Hz...
Also, if the OP's intention is to listen to AC/DC at blast levels would help too... smile
An 845 SET amp could solve some "lack of balls" problems. smile

Gastón

Last edited by ghpicard (2006-10-26 11:02:10)

#11 2006-10-26 11:12:39

erickson

ghpicard wrote:

An 845 SET amp could solve some "lack of balls" problems. smile

I also think an 8" driver with a strong motor and a well-designed (i.e. BIG) rear-loaded horn can have balls with SET.

I just think that most people (myself included, at least for the moment) are reluctant to go to those lengths.

Last edited by erickson (2006-10-26 11:13:03)

#12 2006-10-26 14:12:42

loninappleton

I haven't seen all the speaker designs in the world
but for those who are about to rock, I would suggest a
look at what Bill Fitzmaurice designs:

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

What you will see on the main page is a lot of pro gear.

But the David design and others should make any
living area thump, if that is the goal.

According to Bill, the chamber of the David can
accomodate Full range or MTM.

Fitz's designs have appeared regularly over the years
in Speakerbuilder and AudioXpress.

#13 2006-10-27 06:23:03

lukasvoboda

ghpicard I have not much experience with fullrangers, i have heard bose and old Grundig 12" oval speaker from music cabinet, right now i listen to Tesla http://fullrangedriver.com/gallery/disp … m=4&pos=26   (Monacor SP-200MX/4), not bad speaker, tonaly better than my JVC 3way speakers, but i want somethink better with better sensitivity not too expensive. I am not interested in imaging, just tonaly right speaker with strong bass down to 40hz for rock and roll suitable for open baffle or bassreflex. I have small room about 2.5 x 4 meter. I  thought Fostex should be good, but i afraid about tonality, because it is Japan speaker like my JVC speakers. Amplifier will buy some el84 pp, i plan to buy Yarland http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Yarland-FV-34 … dZViewItem

#14 2006-10-27 09:09:05

erickson

JVC 3-way : Fostex full-range :: apples : oranges

#15 2006-10-27 10:03:39

lukasvoboda

but both speakers are from Japan, in Japan listen other music, not so bass heavy. I have had Zhalou DAC from china and the dac was light on bass.

#16 2006-10-27 10:37:45

schultz (I know nothing)

I have a pair of fe207's in voigt pipes in my living room, and im getting reasonably good bass just from these (in that a bass drum sounds like a bass drum) even though these probably arent what more experienced listeners would call ideal.  I listen to a fair bit of rock through them, and when I turn the wick up the walls move.  Of course at this level your ears are in damage control and you wont be listening for those little details, but the bang for your buck is second to none.

#17 2006-10-27 11:05:35

lukasvoboda

thanks

#18 2006-10-27 11:14:22

karlsonkab

hey schultz - whats your Voight pipe look like size-wise?  I don't listen much to rock but do listen to drum stuff ("taiko"/tabla, zarb plus jazz drummers)  my 12" Karlson with 80oz slug coax cannot go low and is only about 98dB sensitivity but has more/clearer upper kick and clearer bowed bass than my Klipschorn.   what am I'm missing by not having a Voight pipe? - closest thing I had may (?) have been Clements Phase Research with 8" woofer and 1.5" Audax dome. 

Freddy

#19 2006-10-27 13:57:27

planet10
Website

lukasvoboda wrote:

Amplifier will buy some el84 pp, i plan to buy Yarland

If not the same, very similar to a little amp we had at the last diyFEST. Quite decent, espessially for the money.

33.jpg

dave

Last edited by planet10 (2006-10-27 13:58:22)

#20 2006-10-27 14:16:52

lukasvoboda

Yes, it is the amplifier, i hope it sounds good.

#21 2006-10-27 15:04:53

planet10
Website

It does... and, and like 99% of these chinese "pre-built kits" no doubt, tweaked to be even better.

dave

#22 2006-10-27 20:34:31

schultz (I know nothing)

my voigt pipes are six feet high and kind of look like over sized doorstops smile
I built this one
http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/Pages/Voigt_Pipe.html
just 'cause it was an easy build.  Theres a link on this forum somewhere from scottmoose that goes right in to all the reasons why you shouldn't build one of these, but I found that out a little too late. I couldnt say what youd be missing by not having a pair, they wont find the brown note for you or anything.  But I like them.......

#23 2006-10-28 00:39:42

tollecausam

"I am not interested in imaging, just tonaly right speaker with strong bass down to 40hz for rock and roll suitable for open baffle or bassreflex."

I have similar preferences and requirements; after much reading I am thinking I will go with the Hemp Acoustics FR8.0 Ver.3 driver. Well reviewed - both professionally and by users - if that matters, with descriptions indicating that this driver's strengths should match your preferences nicely, while possibly not having huge deficiencies in other aspects of performance that may have you hating them over time. Of course, I have no affiliation with these guys and I could be full of bollocks...

Speaking of which, SETs and their ability to present music with balls depends on multiple factors and their interrelationships. If a person wants max dynamics, then they should probably not be thinking straight-up full range in any case, whether driven by SET or any other topology. For me, by going low power PP (versus a well implemented SET) I would gain little that is important and lose some of what is critical. Others, of course, will differ.

Cheers
Raymond

#24 2006-10-28 02:51:59

talaerts

> "I am not interested in imaging, just tonaly right speaker with strong bass down to 40hz for rock and roll suitable for open baffle or bassreflex."

Next to the Hemp, for more money the Fostex F200A should be really, really good.

#25 2006-10-28 03:11:52

speakernut

I have just completed my Fostex fe207e bass reflex project to the point where I don't believe the speakers can be improved apon.This was an arduous process over about a six month period. The corrective circuitry required can be extremely difficult to get right, however a bsc, parallel notch and zobel network are essential for this driver if you wish to achieve a linear response and be able to listen to a wide range of music without fatigue.
In response to the question about tonality; i recently compared my fostex boxes with a number of high end two way systems by dynaudio and a system using all Focal components. I dont know whether its the bannana fibre but I distinctly feel as though the midrange is somewhat warm and slightly recessed or distant in quality. I would love to hear one of the kenaf cone drivers such as the FF85k. I would also be very interested in auditioning the F200A which, judging from the response doesn't really a bsc circuit.
Good luck
George

Board footer