Fullrangedriver Forum

A place to hang out in the single fullrange driver community

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-25 19:45:02

T11

modified fe206e

!
I have been at all forums as a observer more than an "activist" for a while (let say for a decade) and had some off standard approaches overall. I built my own fornt tractrix horns some months ago and liked them better then any model befor (OB, aperiodics, BR and sealed). The most difficult part was of course to decide which driver to put in. I ended as manywith the FE206e (had previously FE164 and 104, liked the sheer musicality of 104 and allroundness of 164 but the sound of latter was always too artificial for my taste, not so organic as with wheezerless little brother). I also posted years ago and in D class forum the always golden point of musicality vs specs attitude that eventually led me into this tweaking of membranes of fostex drivers.

I thought that upper rising response from FE206e will be tamed with tractrix but it remained an issue even after a year of burning in. I liked them best with UCD180 amps (D class amp). It also seems to dampen well the moving of this driver with loud passages (on classical especially). But... there it was, the everlasting artificiality of this fostex that did not let me in  the music as for example eminence 12lt did (in BR). I looked into my data storage I accomplished over the years and started to paint the membrane and tweak the wheezer. I knew from my first experience with eminence is not to good to cut the wheezer totaly but is wise to start cut it gradually. Even the eminence opens up in the midrange with the cut of approx. of 2cm on the wheezer. But in the same time you should also stiffen it somehow (at least the edge). Then I came across with the patent that claims that the edges should not be circular but "flower" alike (see pics). In brought finesse to the sound and the treble became somewaht more fine detailed and smoother. Also a bit silkier, I think. I did that with my FE206e aslo. Wow, much better- midrange opens , fine details come up, less wheezer-membrane distortion (sound produced by the membrane behind distorts with the wheezer infront, smaller it is, less distiortion, but more beaming). Beaming is heavely reduced by putting some shellac mixed with etanol (let it melt in etanol for 2 days and in 1:2 ratio) on the membrane behind in area big as a original wheezer was. Then I put some shellac in random points accross membrane in the center of it. The highs sounded much more clearer and vivid also beaming was lost. Then I made some mixture of grafite and dammar with terpentine and left it to lay down for 2 days. But first I used the melted shellac and made a star figure to stiffen the mebrane from the center to the edges. The bending area in my point of view and understanding, becomes so much smaller, i.e. the membrane bends in smaller area (smaller dips and ups in response)- and you certainly hear it also! much better detail retrieval, better tighter bass response, the whole sound image steps further in the room. The vocals become fuller and more tangible. Dustcap is then replaced with decware phase plug that is cover with leather. Otherwise I noticed too much of metallic sheen on the top range (especially without the horns). At least and last also I put then all over the membrane in a small portion (1 layer) of that dammar - grafite mixture I made. Now, this is what I call vivid, lucid, smooth, tight and focused sounding driver. Now I like them. The stock one suck compared to this.

James moray tweak, basket reinforcement and felt behind the membrane on the braces is a must.

I am willing to help anybody that will approach this treatment as it really works better than anything I heard with this drivers.

T11

some pics...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/misjirep/ … 3f.intl=us

#2 2006-01-26 10:23:56

Jeremy

Re: modified fe206e

Nice work.   I've got a pair of 206's myself, but I am still scared to do anything really drastic to them.   I did put a thined out coat of damar on the whizzer cone, and added a phase plug, both of which were improvements I think.   I don't want to go too far and wreck the driver though!

#3 2006-01-26 16:20:10

T11

deeply undesrtood. My case was that I was dissapointed with the driver, even after a year of playing. So was also my friend that has some sigma 108es and we both wanted to get rid of that upper range that is too prominent. Shellac is what you need for the wheezer. anything else you can skip ifyou want, but shellac is a good choice. Still reconsider in the future to cut the wheezer edges. I will find the patent´s address so you can read further about this issue. To me is very logic.

greets
t11

#4 2006-01-26 16:48:04

Jeremy

I always liked the pronouned upper midrange of the 206, although I can see how it might be annoying to some.  I'm sure in time I will be more inclined to mess with it though.   I'd be curious to see some measurements of your driver, and a modded one, just to see what the difference is.   Doesn't tell the whole story, obviously, but it would be interesting.

Thanks for the ideas, food for thought.

What was the result with the 108 BTW?

Last edited by Jeremy (2006-01-26 16:49:16)

#5 2006-01-26 17:55:25

moray james

nice work on your driver. I will do this to a set of fe206e drivers that I have as soon as I get the chance. have you had a look at onur ilkorur's singular cabinet design? from what onur tells me it is an excellent match for the 206. while it will probably not have the efficiency of the horn it is a very domestic size and is easy to construct. I plan to try the 206 drivers in that cabinet first. thanks for posting your work. if you would like I would be happy to discuss some mod ideas with you. pm me at morayjattelusdotnet. best regards moray james.

#6 2006-01-27 06:45:01

Angelm

Hello T11,
Could you describe in detail what is tweak shown
on pic-fe206e2 ?
How it improve sound of FE206?
I built M.J.King MLTL recently and have some boomy bass.

Best regards,
Angel

Last edited by Angelm (2006-01-27 07:15:01)

#7 2006-01-27 11:00:03

Jeremy

Have you tried lengthening the port?  Are you using a BSC circuit?

Angelm wrote:

Hello T11,
Could you describe in detail what is tweak shown
on pic-fe206e2 ?
How it improve sound of FE206?
I built M.J.King MLTL recently and have some boomy bass.

Best regards,
Angel

#8 2006-01-27 14:49:07

Angelm

Hello Jeremy,
Yes I've  try to reduce port lenth, and will try to play with different components of BSC.

#9 2006-01-27 15:55:23

Jeremy

Angelm wrote:

Hello Jeremy,
Yes I've  try to reduce port lenth, and will try to play with different components of BSC.

If you have boomy bass, you will want to lower the port tuning by lengthening it.   

What I suggest you do is first eliminate the BSC network altogether sort out the port tuning first, then play with the filter after.  You might try just running a resistor-probably 3 or 4 ohms during this time.   

I've had the 206 in a ported 1/4 wl enclosure, and it was not at all boomy.   There is hope!

#10 2006-01-27 20:30:51

Martin
Website

"I built M.J.King MLTL recently and have some boomy bass."

Wow, that is surprising!  If the bass is that heavy I think that your best bet would be to lower the parallel resistor value by one or two ohms.  What values are you using for the inductor and resistor and what kind of amp is connected?

Martin

#11 2006-01-27 22:16:12

T11

!
As for the measurements, they won´t be done so soon as the guy that usualy does that doesn´t come often to our town. But I trust my ears in this one - some extreme highs are gone but replaced with the decware phase plug (that does play a bit jangly without the leather on it). It seems that some highs really go through the port of this plug and add some articulation to the vocals - you hear  lips to open and close more airy than without it or with the wooden phase plug. But the "horn" alike high mids and maybe a bit ragged upper response is almost vanished - as I said the driver is much more balanced - think like this: the "sound force, wave" from main membrane to wheezer is diminished in its interaction. The wheezer is stiffer and the noncircular (nonuniform) edge has better effect of dissipating the small particles of sound (that wheezer is supposed to do) without high inner resonant mode (one tone is by fractionalized edge distributed to smaller ones - like that the big ripples in the FR ar divided to smaller). But You cannot escape the beaming when the wheezer is tailored to such small part as this in my case. That is why the membrane behind is stiffened also.

Angelm wrote:
"..Could you describe in detail what is tweak shown
on pic-fe206e2 ? How it improve sound of FE206?.."
front horn need some backloading for driver to be efficient in the are where horn works. I tried without the back chamber and sound was a bit softer (which I like). But then the bass missed the "grunt" that this horns can provide. Then I tried with different approaches. One of them is on thath picture but was temporary. The sound is a bit more prominent but harder, bass is tighter, but that is in a horn... In your case, give it a try. I put some 3 layers of gauze and fixed it temporarly with the tape. Now I am using some 2cm thick very airy, thin felt. Also membrane tends to stop and start quicker- it is quite overdamped.

These driver has potentials but original version realy does not shine as little tweaked one. There are much more musical drivers out there, I think, but analytical tool it is nevertheless...

t11

Board footer