A place to hang out in the single fullrange driver community

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-31 23:54:46

Nihilist
Knucklehead
Website

Audio Nirvana 10" and 12" units with cast frames

http://www.fostexspeakers.com/

They look pretty nice. The 12" looks sooooper smooth , 'cept for a rough patch about 2500hz or so.

I think I may have found a new driver........

We'll see how they compare to my Calrads........

.......................Blake

Funny how an Open Baffle can leave some people openly baffled. wink
Pics of CalRad mods
Pics of my SV1000 mods
My Page Of SV and DIY Stereo Links

#2 2008-01-02 08:03:15

bigwill

Re: Audio Nirvana 10" and 12" units with cast frames

Drool! I want a pair!

#3 2008-01-02 22:31:40

norman bates

Hello,

I just ordered the 10" one. Someday it may make it into a cabinet.

A climbing response may not be too bad for a full range driver as off axis response mirrors more what you have 10' away from the speaker.  Most full rnagers with climbing response sound better a bit off axis (or even crossed in front of you).

Nicely built, excellent packaging for shipping.

Carefull on the response as there are 10db steps in there.

I know les someone loved the 10's but watch the climbing response.

here is some stuff I've found on the 12's (not sure if cast frame)
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?for … =&session=
"I have the Super 12 installed in a 2.8 CF cabinet built by Jason at Lovecraft Designs. Port is 6 inch dia that is 6 inches long..........The speakers are a bit forward sounding in the upper mids. The treble response is suprisingly good for a full range driver. Bass response is quick and articulate."

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?for … io+nirvana
"They are directional. It is to be expected with a driver that large. However, it is not as bad as say an Acoustat.....You do not get any weird phase shifts either.....You do have to keep the voice coil at or slightly above ear level so the highs arent attenuated.....p.s. directionality is not a bd thing. It elimintates the problem of early reflections, and makes room treatment an easier issue to deal with."

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?for … io+nirvana
"Personally, I think the speakers have better tonal balance than similarly priced Fostex drivers. On instruments like harmonica, steel guitar, piano, there is a natural sound that usually isnt found in inexpensive full range drivers.....They sound stage quite well. The speaker does have a bit of a forward upper midrange...not too bad...but it does cause the speaker to project it's soundstage into a room....is this a perfect speaker? No. But it's darn good for the price. I haven't heard any driver in this price range that can do what these do. it will cost me a good chunk of change to upgrade from them whenever that time comes."

So, bass will be limited.
I believe the 10 can skip past xmax with 1 watt at 50hz when tuned to 40hz.
Some German stuff had them in a small box crossed at 200hz.
To me a small box has some of the worst internal pressure/reflection because I enjoyed a pioneer b20 in a 6ft3 sealed box (1' x 2' x 3' = qtc .577) crossed to a piezo actively at 5khz (time aligned also).  My 2ft3 sealed box with sand walls sounded more boxy and honky.

Worst case scnario is to make a hammer/afterburner or cross to a sub 80-200hz.

Warning !!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure on the 12 but the paper thick cone on the 10 seems thin.
I'd read somewhere on the eminence Lta's being thin and the buyer had to pay mucho attention to box resonances/stuffing/etc.

i read a quick search on audioasylum.com
exact match : audio nirvana
on high efficiency asylum

As a friend of mine said "Interesting, no bass but more bass than those 3's make."

I expect nowhere as clean as a waterfall as a w3-871s tang band, but more output and more bass while still keeping that full range magic !!!!

#4 2008-01-03 02:23:12

Nihilist
Knucklehead
Website

Did you order the cast frames or stamped ?

....................Blake

Pics of CalRad mods
Pics of my SV1000 mods

#5 2008-01-03 04:59:10

norman bates

I got the stamped frames.

Guess I didn't even pay attention, the cast are $50 more per pair.
I was happy my stash covered it and excitedly pulled the trigger.
Too late now.
The stamped response looks a bit less peaky but the cast seems smoother till 2khz.

I'm not worried about the climb past 1khz as I just read a rbh speaker review in hometheater magazine for 2002, on axis their mid did the same thing but listening tests did not reveal it.

I can say that the driver's qts is not as stiff as the documentation.
Feels closer to a .4 or so.

here is a link, I may go open baffle with this 10"..........
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?for … =&session=

Les never mentions if it was the cast frame.
Oh well.

On paper I'd assume the cast is better as stronger, more rigid, and less spoke reflections so close to the back of the cone.

Toughest past is how to run them.
Wide open = most alive and detailed.
cross at 200 = toss out the "life" but gain lower distortion and add bass.
Maybe 1 cap to roll them.

Open baffle I know will be cleanest midrange but zero bass.
and I'm sure my wife'd love a baffle 4' wide and 6' tall (driver 18.333" from left and 48" from top for 1:1.618 ratios) in the living room.
3.5ft3 box tuned to 45hz = some bass, not too loud but better than most as I like large cones.
the coil is 6-8mm long so don't get too worried about xmax but it'd pass the waf test.

I even thought of the bouble reflex but my trusted friend said bass sounds weird when tuned above 50, or better yet 40.  And I saw the response for the zu druid, huge suckout at 200hz and much less at 100 than at 300.
http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measu … ble_druid/
talk about weird. but what I'd expect from a dbr tuning approx 75 and 150.
Don't get me wrong, the cone motion would be really supressed making for cleaner vocals.

But I'm not too worried about 1mm xmax.
I remember reading a comparison between tang band w3-871s (.5mm xmax) while the hivi b3s had 3mm.  Both put out same amount of bass.  But the tang band did not have the ringing problem of the hi-vi.  A german site (someone) said he heard it still zinging.  He was told the notch filter was in circuit.  My buddy told me that notches make a speaker measure better (and they can sound a bit better) but the problem is in the time domain, so it takes longer to silence than other frequencies, even if the freq measures flat.  Also a driver puts out harmonics, so frequencies 1/5 octave below, 1/4 below, 1/3 and 1/2 octave below the resonance will set the cone ringing.
Woops got off topic. 

My active crossover is kind of yucky as I could not stand the pioneer b20 crossed at 200-300 to some 15's.  Just sounded bad.

Anywho, Shin Chan is almost on so I got to go.

I'm sure if you get one (or some) that it would be in a box before mine is.

Norman bates

#6 2008-01-05 12:58:27

karlsonkab

I don't think there was a cast-frame super 10 at that time.  IIRC Les said it lost magic if highpass were used on the FR* - he apparently used just a 75hz lowpass on the bass reflex woofer.   My fake Druid had no deep dips outside but exhibited one indoors due to its ~4 foot driver height and my 7'10" ceiling height

*with Beta 12CX and a 21" woofer biamped  on open baffle it didn't matter much other than power handling if the coax had no highpass or 100Hz    Nirvana speakers aren't popular here nor over at diy so theres very little exchange.  For US$ meager buying power I don't think we got beat up too bad in a world where a stupid capacitor for stupid people might cost more than these Chinese-made drivers.  AN10 in reflex is pretty feeble on drum transients but its high end is ok    A good speaker dynamics wise  should be able to play ~120dB 1M peaks on Odaiko cd without much cone excursion.

Last edited by karlsonkab (2008-01-05 14:58:34)

#7 2008-01-06 13:27:00

Scottmoose

I see that Vas on the CF Super12 is a bit less astronomical than the SF. Might make it a little easier to work with.

Dedicated to The Search

#8 2008-01-06 17:31:51

norman bates

Yea, nirvana's seem new here.

I mean, why would someone go out on a branch when there are so many fostex designs and so many people that have built them and so many comments on them.
"this is better than that because blah, blah, and here are the graphs" etc........

super 12's vas of 250-290 with qts above .45 seems open baffle as ported be near 10ft3 !!!!!

I like the druid design but it is a different driver than the nirvana, their is dual voice coil, 12 ohm even.

But I think the small straight whizzer (and plug) is the way to go.

We'll see...........

Norman

#9 2008-01-07 21:29:12

Godzilla

>>> I just ordered the 10" one. Someday it may make it into a cabinet.

LOL!

I saw and heard these just last night at a restaurant.

http://www15.ocn.ne.jp/~slife/photo/a8.JPG

They were branded Nakamichi and the woofer cones read Diatone. Very full sound. Treble was not good because the tweeters were blown but still made screetchy sounds. The owner and his wife saw me gawking at them and told me they just bought them in place of 'bullshit bose' he said. He knew the tweeters were blown and said they were about 30 years old. They were very big but like i said, very full in the bass. Makes me wonder how one of these Audio Nirvana 10 or 12 inch drivers would sound in a big BR???

Godzilla

#10 2008-01-07 21:57:04

Nihilist
Knucklehead
Website

Those look like some nice speakers !

Freddy has some experience with an AN10 in BR. I can't remember the size of the cab, but he isn't very impressed by the bass........

.......................................Blake

Pics of CalRad mods
Pics of my SV1000 mods

#11 2008-01-08 07:22:14

norman bates

nice speakers ther godzilla !!!!!!!!!
Larger drivers (doing voice) have been enjoyed by many.
I even read that someone commented on a 3" driver sounding small, as in far away.

yea bass is a tough thing...........
karlson can kick tail there..........
For fred's needs they did not fufill.........

I've even been contemplating the an10 to be in an open baffle (4' wide by 6' tall).

But I'm looking for something different........
A full ranger but with some bass............
apartment living I listen 2-5am........
I evolved from my "I need to flatten you with bass phase" (piezo, mid horn, 4 x 15's and 4 x 18's subs).

Now I want dynamic and extreme intelligibility, coherency all at mouse fart sound levels, resolution, and even some bass.

I know the 10"er won't be as clean as my w3-871s
http://www.zaphaudio.com/tidbits/TB-W3-871-CSD.gif
I just want some more bass without adding a crossover (active or passive).

Drums are a toughie.
I perfer mucho cone area or even a w-bin.
someday I'll have a 100hz front horn........ but not now.........

Norman

Board footer